sshd: can't turn off reverse mapping check

I'm running ssh from woody (3.4p1-1.woody.3).  When I try to connect
from a host which has no reverse DNS entry, sshd refuses the
connection.  From ethereal, I see that immediately before closing the
ssh connection, the server is issuing a reverse DNS query, which
returns "no such name".

I had the default sshd_config, which had an entry for
ReverseMappingCheck commented out.  I tried uncommenting and changing
the value from "yes" to "no".  This had no effect.

Then I noticed that the sshd_config man page doesn't mention
ReverseMappingCheck, but it does list the keyword
VerifyReverseMapping.  So I tried using that instead, but again it
makes no difference whether it's set to "yes" or "no" or commented
out.  The server is still doing a reverse DNS query and closing the
connection when the query fails.

This is happening when the client is on a different subnet than the
server.  When I connect from a host on the same subnet as the server,
no reverse DNS query is performed.

Am I missing something?  Is this a bug, and if so is there a way
around it?

Thanks.

-David