Re: root partition full and du and df do not agree

In article <[🔎] 20040905132820.GD4081@sage.che.pitt.edu>,
John Harrold  <jmh17@pitt.edu> wrote:
>I have a delima. My root partition is about 24Gb and it's full. The problem
>is that I cannot figure out what is taking up the space. If I goto '/' and
>run 'du -x' it says that about 500Mb are being used. This is about what I
>would expect. Now If I run 'df' it says the partition is 100% full. Is
>there any way to check for unlinked files which are taking up space or
>something like that?

Sure. Try

	ls -ld /proc/*/fd/* 2>&1 | fgrep '(deleted)'

.. that will show you all deleted files still held open
by running processes.

Mike.
--
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes
 a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell.