Re: At a loss for PATH......

Hi,

I normally do it in ~.bashrc, as I try not to  change much in the system
so I can just backup my home where everything is that I changed and
installed sits and am done.

I guess you can also do it in
/etc/profile: The systemwide initialization file, executed for login
shells
 /etc/bash.bashrc: The systemwide per-interactive-shell startup file

as man bash says. It's just important that you do

export PATH=~/bin:/home/data/programs/j2re1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH

somewhere. It's not necessary to do it where it's set at boot time.