Alsa in Debian Sarge? How to?

Hi,

I am pretty new to debian (two months now since I ditched Mandrake) and
I was able to do the switch thanks to the hardware detection that now
really seems to work... Most everything works just fine and sarge is
just as up-to date as I like it.

Nevertheless there are a few things which I would like to fix, the
topmost being alsa instead of OSS.

I have just installed alsa (well I think I have). What I did was to:

apt-get alsa-base alsa-headers alsa-oss alsa-utils alsaplayer
alsaplayer-alsa alsaplayer-common alsaplayer-gtk alsaplayer-oss

On my debian sarge with 2.6.7-1-686 Standard Kernel.

I don't know, I expected apt to ask me to remove oss or configure alsa,
so that all apps use it instead of oss. But no questions were asked and
alsa was installed without a hitch and without a question.

I tried xmms with the alsa output plugin: it didn't work. So then
I ran alsaconf. Which has let me choose my soundcard and so I did. It
then told me that alsa is ready to run. Nevertheless: xmms and
alsaplayer play but no sound.

I googled a bit and found that you may have to do some more things
like:  add the following in /etc/modutils/aliases for my soundcard (it's
an intel soundcard in an IBM Thinkpad t40p):

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

options snd major=116 cards_limit=4

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/dsp* snd-pcm-oss

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-slot-0

Wich I also did.

I rebooted (just to be on the save side) and started Gnome, I again
tried to run XMMS with the alsa output plugin, but it didn't work.
Nevertheless the OSS ouput plugin still works.

I did /etc/init.d/alsa start (and also reload and force-reload, but no
option makes alsaplayer/XMMS work)

It doesn't work in kde nor Gnome apps. In KDE I can force it to use alsa
as sound system in kcontrol, but only OSS works. In Gnome I don't even
know where to start...

Probably I still have oss running and that prevents alsa from doing it's
job, but I don't know how to go on from here: how do I disable OSS, how
enable alsa properly? What is the right way to install alsa on debian
anyway?

Thank you
Pascal