Re: Console output?

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:06:47 -0500
"John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com> wrote:

> Is this coming from my firewall (Firestarter) somehow?  If so,
> why?? 64.105.56.109 is my IP, but I don't know what the other one
> is 64.105.106.5) Thanks - John
>
> Appears on console screen, over and over, but not on remote ssh
> screen:
>
> IN=eth0) OUT= MAC= 00:c0:9f:38:15:eb:00:e0:eb:74:7f:C8:08:00:
> SRC=64.105.106.5 DST=64.105.56.109 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00
> TTL=119 ID=9735 DF PROTO=TCP SPT= 2074 DPT=135 WINDOW=65280
> RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

I searched Google and found an easy, if not temporary, fix.  As root
type:
# dmesg -n 1

# man dmesg

NAME
       dmesg - print or control the kernel ring buffer

SYNOPSIS
       dmesg [ -c ] [ -n level ] [ -s bufsize ]

DESCRIPTION
       dmesg is used to examine or control the kernel ring buffer.

       The  program  helps  users to print out their bootup
messages.  Instead of copying the
       messages by hand, the user need only:
              dmesg > boot.messages
       and mail the boot.messages file to whoever can debug their
problem.

OPTIONS
       -c     Clear the ring buffer contents after printing.

       -sbufsize
              Use a buffer of size bufsize to query the kernel ring
buffer.  This is 16392 by
              default.   (The default kernel syslog buffer size was
4096 at first, 8192 since
              1.3.54, 16384 since 2.1.113.)  If you have set the
kernel buffer to  be  larger
              than the default then this option can be used to view
the entire buffer.

       -nlevel
              Set  the  level at which logging of messages is done
to the console.  For exam­
              ple, -n 1 prevents all messages, expect panic
messages, from appearing  on  the
              console.  All levels of messages are still written to
/proc/kmsg, so syslogd(8)
              can still be used to control exactly where kernel
messages appear.  When the -n
              option is used, dmesg will not print or clear the
kernel ring buffer.

              When  both options are used, only the last option on
the command line will have
              an effect.

--
Raquel
We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other