dpkg-split segfault

I have a client who is running Sarge, and we have run into a problem. apt-get is unusable -- it retrieves files just fine, but when it goes to unpack them, we get a seg fault in dpksg-split.

Will it be sufficient to make a copy of the dpkg-split binary from another system? Is it possible (or likely) that the problem may be with a config file or database?

The client office is non-local, and I can't work remotely, so I'd like to take whatever seems like the most likely solution with me.

Steve Garcia