Re: EXT3 and data=journal

Hello

Stefan O'Rear (<stefanor@cox.net>) wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 02:55:14PM -0400, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>> How can I use data=journal mode in Sarge, stock kernel 2.4.26-1-i386?
>> If I include data=journal in /etc/fstab, I'm told that I can't change
>> the journal mode during a remount. Using tune2fs to set journal=data
>> doesn't seem to help.
>
> A remount is what you get when you change things like that while the
> system is running. Add data=journal to /etc/fstab, and run:
>
>    sudo shutdown -r now
>
>    OR,
>
>    sudo init 6
>
> Yes there are still a few settings that only take effect when you
> reboot....

This won't help for the root partition, because at the time the fstab is
read, the root partition /is/ already in use. How could you read fstab
if this was not the case? At that time the root partition is only
remounted according to what fstab says. I think you need some kind of
kernel parameter so the kernel knows to use data=journal when the root
partition is mounted the first time.

/usr/src/kernel-source/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt says
something about a "rootflags" option so set the root fs mount options,
so I think adding

rootflags=data=journal or
rootflags="data=journal"

to the boot loader config could work.