Re: OT Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

begin  Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> dedi ki:
> Abdullah Ramazanoglu <ar018@yahoo.com> writes:
 --8<--

>> Is it possible to work offline with IMAP? I.e. download headers, mark
>> some, than get the ones marked for download.
>
> Yup.

Then someone has to clear unwanted messages from the IMAP server. And once
cleared, they're gone for good. Whereas with NNTP, no explicit deletion
needed: You just don't download the message and that's all. Also,
non-downloaded messages are still waiting there on the server, ready to be
read anytime until they're expired from the NNTP server.

Oh, BTW I completely forgot another important issue with mail lists: All
those wasted internet bandwith, list-server cycles, and overloaded
mailboxes (at ISP and local PC). Which translate into additional costs, to
be paid by someone(s).

>> This may be a clever solution. But it is awkward to employ a server just
>> to be able to circumvent limitations imposed by using wrong tools for the
>> task at hand. NNTP is specifically designed for threaded discussions, and
>> it has all the bells and whistles inherently needed for the task. Whereas
>> with mail one has to twist and bend to get somewhere near.
>
> Once again, that is not true.  Mail also has a concept of threads.
> Compare Followup-To in news to References in mail.

Agreed. I was referring to "threaded discussions" for the sake of
completeness of the definition, not to particularly emphasize on threading
abilities.

--
Abdullah        | aramazan@ |
Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |