Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 19:58, Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

> It's my first post here, and I'm having hard time trying to underderstand
> why linux.debian.* is being run as mailing list in the first place. I have
> no problems with moderation and revealing my mail address (it's my spam
> collector anyway). But SMTP is for mail, NNTP is for threaded discussions.
> I had once subscribed to several lists, and seeing how awfully inefficient
> it is for such things, I had summarily stopped all my list subscriptions,
> and I will not subscribe to a single list anymore, no matter what, as a
> principle.
>
> Using mail as a vehicle for threaded discussion, seems to me only good for
> a tightly knit closed group. I can't understand why a public,
> usenet-mirrored group should be implemented as a mail list. For added
> gatewaying complexities? To download all the message bodies that I
> wouldn't read? To always feel that paranoia that my message might not be
> gatewayed to mail subscribers? To provide some with an oportunity to fork?
> (I suspect it will turn into a trolling place). Why not simply a moderated
> plain and straight, simple usenet NG?

I have a strong reason - I only want one application to read all these
discussion on.  I run kde, and kmail is ergonomically far far easier to read
mailing lists fast (and all the messages are properly threaded) than any of
the news reading programs I've tried (knode and pan to name but two).

In fact, I prefer that so much so, that I run my own mailman mailing list
gated to a newsgroup that I wish to read with just me subscribed so that I
can read it in the same application.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk