Re: Can't dial up

Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:

> Advice please, I can't dial up.
>
> I am using the K environment, and I enter the command "kppp" and when
> I go to set the device, I can't. My modem is on /dev/ttys4 but that is
> not in the drop down box.  I tried "ln -s /dev/ttys4 /dev/modem" from
> the shell, but when I select /dev/modem from the drop down box, it
> does not work when I hit the button to test modem.
>
> Any advice?  Please help.

Here are some things to try (if you haven't already):

Add your user account to the dip and dialout groups.  Log out and log back
in afterwards.  Try KUser or just do this on the shell commandline:
# adduser steve dip
# adduser steve dialout

Change 'auth' to 'noauth' in /etc/ppp/options.  Now try KPPP again.

Maybe try running pppconfig (as root), go through the setup steps, then try
$ pon YourConnectionName

Or try installing and running wvdial.  If none of this works, there's
probably something wrong with the modem setup.  Just a thought, but
maybe /dev/ttys4 needs to be /dev/ttyS4 (capital S) for the symlink?

Steve