Re: newbie Xlib install/configure question

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 07:06:13PM -0400, Mark D. Hansen wrote:
> Thanks!  Great advice.  I've got the VNC suggestion working.  But, it
> would be cooler to do it the SSH/X11 way.  I'm just a little reluctant
> to install the Cygwin stuff on all my Windows boxes.  Is there any other
> way to do this, like in an SSH client like PuTTY ??  Or do I really need
> a Windows Xserver?
To use X11 forwarding:

1. Debian SSH daemon must support it. Woody openssh does, but it is
   disabled by default (presumably for security). To enable it, add
   "X11Forwarding yes" to your /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

2. The SSH client must support it. I've never used PuTTY, so check the
   manual. Probable cases:

   1. No support. Go with plain network X11 (very highly discouraged for
      connecting over the Internet, good for firewalled LANs, and
      somewhere in between for wireless LANs), or use a different SSH.

   2. TCP level. PuTTY will offer X forwarding if you are running an
      Xserver on localhost.

   3. X forwarding will be done, and converted into MS Windows calls.

   If (1) or (2), you'll need an X11 server. He mentioned there was an X
   server for Cygwin.  Google is your friend. (I vaguely remember
   reading something about a commertial product called Reflection X,
   incase it helps.)

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER