Re: newbie Xlib install/configure question

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 02:36:17PM -0400, Mark D. Hansen wrote:
> OK - so I am pretty slow at this Linux/X11 stuff.  I've got X running on
> my server (debian01) at this point.  And I can open an Xterm using the
> local monitor/keyboard on debian01.  But, this server is on a rack in a
> closet in my basement.  The machines in my office are all Windows PCs.
> I guess that I've figured out that I can't run an X session over the
> network using my PuTTY SSH Client!
>
> So, how can I open an X session with my debian01 server from a Windows
> client?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Two ways to do this.

> Maybe if you install Cygwin and XFree under Windows:
> http://x.cygwin.com/

1. the SSH/X11 way

   Get a windows Xserver.

   cygwin$ X :0 &
   cygwin$ DISPLAY=:0 ssh -X debian01
   debian01$ xterm&

   You will get X11 windows on your Windows desktop.

2. the TCP X11 way

   Get a windows Xserver.

   cygwin$ X :0 &
   cygwin$ ssh debian01
   debian01$ DISPLAY=winblowsbox:0 xterm&

   You will get X11 windows on your Windows desktop.

3. the VNC way

   debian01$ sudo apt-get install vncserver
   debian01$ Xvnc :1 -geometry 1024x768 &
   C:\> "C:\Program Files\SomeVNC\SomeVNC.exe"
   select <debian-box-ip>:1

   You will get X11 windows in a VNC window

> > snippage
>
> You tried to run an complete X session. For this you need the X server
> to be installed. I don't even know if it works like this over SSH at
> all.
No, by default startx looks for /usr/bin/X, which (by debian policy) is
an Xserver that talks to the keyboard/monitor/mouse connected to the
computer X was run on.

> > What have I done wrong?  Can I run X11 over an SSH connection from a
> > MS Windows machine?
>
> Perhaps you could use VNC instead.
Or use SSH X forwarding (solution #1)

If you want the minimum work, I'd suggest #3.  Windows VNC clients are
fairly easy to come by.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER