Re: Using LILO on non-linux disk

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 17:21,
> > Can I use LILO directly, bypassing the bootmagic entirely--that is
> > reference lilo.conf to the "c" disk "/dev/hdba" and when I boot, go
> > directly to LILO
>
> "/dev/hdba" is bad ... something whacky ...
>         - you should avoid typo mistakes in lilo.conf
Yes, hda1 is correct.

> windoze is usually /dev/hda1  ( aka C: )  and best to keep it that way on
> /dev/hda1
>
> linux hopefully is on a different disk say /dev/hdc
>
> > and choose linux or windows?
>
> yup... lilo can overwrite the MBR to boot either linux or windoze

OK tried it. The results:
Go the lilo menu OK. Boot to Linux partition OK. Boot to Windows -- Goes to
the lilo menu again.

So I -U'd. Now I get the bootmagic menu once more. Boot to linux -- get the
lilo menu there, etc. Boot to windows ..... get the lilo menu again. No
escape :-(

I can get to a floppy. So I went to a boot floppy to fdisk /MBR. The floppy
will not read files on that partition, does not like the media. fdisk /MBR
does not complain but does not anything.

So ... I can always cp -a to somewhere else and redo that partition but would
prefer to fix it. How? (I do not think lilo saved what I thought it did.)
Alternatively or additonally, how can I get the Windows menu choice on
a /dev/hda1 lilo boot record to "stay put".

Here is the lilo.conf--I will take out all the comments and stuff to keep it
short:

lba32
root=/dev/hdb1

# Specifies the boot device
# I made the one hda1 when I lilod to the windows partition
boot=/dev/hdb1

#compact

bitmap=/boot/sid.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0