newbie Xlib install/configure question

I've been running a debian server for a while with no X11.  I access it from SSH on a MS Windows machine.  Now, I want to be able to use X11.  So, I installed xlibs (apt-get install xlibs).  It installed OK, but I can't run "startx".  I get the following:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute: No such file or directory
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.

What have I done wrong?  Can I run X11 over an SSH connection from a MS Windows machine?

Thanks,

Mark