Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

Paul Johnson wrote:

Madhusudan Singh <msdebian@yahoo.com> writes:

Paul Johnson wrote:

<#secure method=pgp mode=sign>

Madhusudan Singh <msdebian@yahoo.com> writes:

This is not a "fracture" or "duplication". To post to this group, I had
to reveal my email address and go through a two email process of
subscription.

No, you didn't.  It's an open list.

It is not. I received the following message from a moderation robot when I
tried to post a message to linux.debian.user :

Well, there's your first problem.  This isn't a newsgroup, the
newsgroup mirrors are generally considered archive-only.

Is there a consensus about that? I mean, I've seen many people say that the newsgroup gateway is unidirectional (from mailinglist to gateway), and my own experience confirms that.

But in another post here, Marco d'Itri (who is the administrator of linux.* and runs bofh.it according to Pascal Hakim) says

"If one reads a debian mailing list in a linux.debian.* group and
wants to reply to the list he is supposed to followup to the newsgroup
and NOT to directly reply to the list."

and

"Fortunatly, linux.* *IS* a bidirectional gateway, unless your news
server is misconfigured.".

I'm confused. Is the gateway bidirectional and is almost everyone's news server misconfigured? Is everyone doing something wrong? Or is it just me?

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven