Re: IBM Compatibility

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 12:45:47PM +0200, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
> I am ordering IBM G40 Thinkpads and would like to know wether they will
> work nicely with debian. Googling seems to say that in general ibm
> hardware will work painlessly with linux but no definitive answer on
> debian or any other distro. There is also not much in terms of it not
> working which I think is positive.

i just installed debian (via a knoppix cd) on an r40.  it's
going rather well, as my research had led me to expect.

working highlights: 3d, speedstep, wireless, ethernet, acpi.

i have my random notes at
http://www.hjsoft.com/blog/link/Linux_on_ThinkPad_R40_2897-B4U

there are pages with much better organization out there, though.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |