Re: ALSA on 2.6

Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> writes:

> Joris Huizer wrote:
>> Tom Allison wrote:
>>
>>> How to I check if ALSA is actually working on my system?
>>>
>>> I have sound, but things like mplayer say that alsa can't be found.
>>> xine works fine, but I can't find anything in the xine menus to
>>> tell me what it's using for sound.
>>>
>>> Eventually I want to set up a TV card, but I need to go back and
>>> check off the basics.  It looks like a lot of things did not get
>>> set up the way I had expected.
>>>
>>> I made an assumption that kernel 2.6 provided alsa without
>>> additional configuration other than loading the hardware drivers.

I had to compile each time the Kernel for my Soundblaster Live 5.1 card

>> Try alsaplayer
>>

> liboss_out failed to load.
>
> Where is this?
>
> I couldn't find it in the /lib/modules directory.

Maybe you _need_ to compile a new kernel after all?

With the 2.6.x kernel it's not complicated anymore.

most likely you also need to install alsa-base ( some tools like alsamixer
and to store the settings alsactl are also very helpfull.)
Other then the above error there is nothing else?

LinuxUser aka Josef Oswald linux.os@chello.at
--
registered-linux-user # 134.818 at http://counter.li.org