ALSA on 2.6

How to I check if ALSA is actually working on my system?

I have sound, but things like mplayer say that alsa can't be found.
xine works fine, but I can't find anything in the xine menus to tell me what it's using for sound.

Eventually I want to set up a TV card, but I need to go back and check off the basics. It looks like a lot of things did not get set up the way I had expected.

I made an assumption that kernel 2.6 provided alsa without additional configuration other than loading the hardware drivers.