Re: ursine.ca has been hijacked

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 09:13:13PM -0400 or thereabouts, Icebiker wrote:

> >>So hopefully the registrar will revoke the domain.  If I have any
> >>Canadian volunteers to hold the domain for me, I'll try to get it back.
> >
> >If you need help with that, let me know. I'm in Toronto. I've dealt with
> >CIRA,
> >they're pretty fussy, about dotting the 'I's' and crossing the 'ts'. I'm
> >surprised it was that easy for the other guy to do this. I had to wait
> >about 3
> >months to prove to them a couple of years ago, that I owned a dot ca
> >domain.
> >Lots of e-mailing and snailmailing back and forth.
>
> Huh? internetnamesforbusiness.com (or whatever they're called) set me up
> with my .ca in a couple of days. This was about 18 months ago. I dunno why
> it was so easy, maybe coz I'm in the Toronto phone book.

I'm not referring to purchasing a new one, but altering or changing details on
an existing domain.

It should be difficult to transfer, without proper documentation. For me, it
was, as my registrar had ceased doing business. I was the registered owner, but
without the registrar being the middleman, it was extremely difficult and time
consuming to provide documentation to them indicating that I was the legitimate
owner. It's deliberately difficult to prevent such domain hijacking.

I don't know Paul's details, but I was commenting on the fact that I had to jump
through hoops to change my information -- So I was surprised that Paul's nemesis
was easy to do it (apparently) relatively easy.

--
Steve
  Monday Aug 30 2004 10:01:02 PM EDT