Re: Kernel Compile

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:06:59AM +0100, Grant wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have a laptop P2 300mhz, 128mb ram and a desktop box thats 2ghz,512mb ram.
>
> The question is that could i use my 2ghz machine to make and compile a
> kernel, then package it up into a .deb and send it to the laptop and
> install it and it work ?
>
> Would i need any extras ? i know i would have to select the hardware for
> the laptop, but would i need to include the hardware for the 2ghz or
> just the laptop ?

Probably just the laptop, BUT, I seem to recall the *config doing
limited hardware probing (like, if you don't watch out you'll get a P4
only kernel).

You may wish to look into distcc. It is a wrapper for gcc that spreads
the work between multiple computers, e.g:

make menuconfig

CC=distcc make -j4 bzImage

Your laptop and your desktop will be faster than your desktop alone.

Note that old (< 2.6 i think) kernels simply can't be built with
multiple processors, so you'd be out of luck whether it's distcc or your
shiny new quad-Opteron PC.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER