Re: a2ps -> gv font (deeper problem!)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:

> When I do "a2ps -Pdisplay <file>" (but not when I send the job to a
> printer), the font is not right (going over the right margin,
> superimposing the text in the next column).  Is there a way to correct
> that?

I've noticed the same problem (had it for at least a week, but I'm not sure
what triggered it).  I get analogous symptoms with enscript.

To clarify the problem for others:
  The software (a2ps, enscript) *is* wrapping the lines correctly.  The
  problem appears when the resulting PS file is rendered (either to screen,
  or to a printer) using ghostview.  There seems to be a problem with
  ghostview honoring/mistaking the font size when rendering.  On my debian
  (sid) machine the text is rendered at a point size ~25% larger than it
  should be with the leading, etc. having been computed for the (correct)
  smaller size.  The result is text that is packed to tightly vertically,
  and seriously over-runs its horizontal boundaries.

It is revealing that I can use enscript to generate a file on my work
machine and it will render correctly.  If I transfer the same PS file to my
debian box and view (or print) it there I get the problem with the
incorrect font sizes (resulting, in this case, with the text from one
column running into the second column.

The really confusing bit is that both machines report the same version
string (but different copyright strings?):
WORK MACHINE (RedHat (mixed flavors), renders correctly)
 % gs
 GNU Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-05-17)
 Copyright (C) 2003 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.

HOME MACHINE (debian, sid, doesn't work)
 % gs
 ESP Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-07-12)
 Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights
 reserved.

So, is there some font handling layer below ghostscript that could be
screwing this up, or is there a bug in the ESP flavor of gs?

-- Brad

--
Brad Sawatzky <bds9e@virginia.edu>
University of Virginia Physics Department