Re: Best way to get upgrade list

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:35:12 -0500, Michael Satterwhite
<michael@weblore.com> wrote:

> When doing package upgrades, I like to see what is going to be upgraded before
> running it. I know several ways to get the list, but those of you who have
> been around a long time probably know better ways. The goal is to get the
> list, then decide on a package basis whether to actually do the upgrade.
>
> As long time Debian experts, what do you consider the *BEST* way to handle
> this task.

I use aptitude, hit 'u' for upgrade. Packages which can be upgraded
are then sorted under the top-level heading 'Upgradable packages'.

However, you cannot (afaik) read the changelog entries from within
aptitude before deciding on whether or not to update a package. This
is something I would like but I think is probably a long way off. I
tend to only update packages which have DSA's against them; and I
subscribe to the relevant mailing list to get the DSA's as quickly as
possible.

--
Jon Dowland
dowland@gmail.com