Re: Automating ifconfig

> I am new to and have newly installed Debian (woody).
>
> Currently, to activate my ethernet card I must, on each machine bootup,
> issue the following:
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
>
> What steps need I follow to automate this so that on bootup, "eth0" is
> activated without my intervention?

apt-get install ifupdown, then edit /etc/network/interfaces to say e.g.

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

assuming that eth0 uses DHCP.  See man ifup and man interfaces for more
info.

ifup will now run automatically at boot, and bring up the interfaces that
you specify in /etc/network/interfaces.

Good luck,
Andrew.