Re: Houston, I May Have a Problem (chkrootkit Results)

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 11:04:18AM +0000, gsutton9503@wavecable.com wrote:

> I can only guess that they got in because I  screwed up while doing a
> few little experiments  and forgot to turn the firewall back on.
>
> The couple other systems that are currently  active on my network are
> running 98SE at this  time with ZA Pro and AVG Antivirus, so they
> haven't been violated.  My workstation is  currently the only Linux box
> in the house, and  has a direct connection to the Internet, whereas
> all other systems are going through one of the  other 98 Boxes set up
> with Internet Connection  Sharing (nice having both an Ethernet port
> and a  USB port on the cable modem and having 2 IP  addresses...)
>
> As for the other questions, I have no idea,  since I wiped the entire
> system already.

I suspected this. I didn't recommend any forensics since you seemed to want
to get back up in the saddle asap. Would have been nice to know, but no
worries now.

> To late for that now.  I already did the  reinstall, and am
> troubleshooting some other  issues, which I will save for either a
> different  post, or for further down in this message.  My  top priority
> is getting back up and operational.   Thankfully, I have a couple other
> systems I can  work with online while I do these fixes (DOS  6.22 and
> WfW 3.11 is quite the screamer on a P- 120 with 64MB RAM)  :D

Woo joo...I have gots to get me some of that hot technology...:)

> It is also not too likely that the incident will  be repeated, since
>
> A:  Guard Dog Firewall gets activated at boot
> B:  At the moment, Mepis can't seem to detect  the NICs on my MB.

Just make sure you stay up on your updates, and as I recommended, run a
host-based and network IDS. Think of the firewall as a fixed fortification.
Any fortification can be gone over, around or battered down with enough
time if there are no watchers on the gate. Remember the Maginot Line in
France...

> I suspect the NIC issue probably has something  to do with how the
> permissions were set when I  transferred /tmp /root /usr /usr/local
> /var /opt  and /home to their own dedicated partitions.  I  suppose I
> should reboot yet again with the Mepis  CD and have a look at how they
> are supposed to  be set.

One thing to check on this, do a chmod 1777 /tmp and check your ownership.
That one thing will transparently break a boatload of stuff.

> Here is the scheme I went with:
>
> /dev/hda
>
>  /              3GB
>   swap          2GB
>  /tmp           1GB
>  /root          1GB
>  /opt          10GB
>  /var           3GB
>  /usr          20GB
>  /usr/local    35GB

I don't know how fluid your drive space needs are (though I could see your
needs changing fairly often), but you also might want to consider running
Logical Volume Manager (LVM). It abstracts hard drive structure and allows
you to create volume groups and logical volumes. The best part about this
is that you can resize partitions on the fly, literally without unmounting
the filesystem. I do a lot of video work, and have extended the partition
on which I was recording a movie off of cable, without interrupting
recording. Its something that would allow you to allocate your filesytems
efficiently without wasting a bunch of space, and to reallocate should your
needs change.

--Brad