Re: Sarge-No Sound/NEWBIE

Hello

Roger Creasy (<roger_creasy@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> I get the following at startup : Error initializing sound server
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened(no such device)sound driver will
> continue, using the null output.
>
> I have an ISA soundcard. How do I go about installing the module or
> whatever it takes to get sound working?

You need to load the driver. If you use an ISA card, you probably want
to make sure you use kernel 2.4 or 2.6, because their ISA plug and play
management is far superior to kernel 2.2. Adding the driver
to /etc/modules, modprobing it and adding yourself to the audio group
normally is all what you need to do to get sound. However, you have to
find out which driver you need. Maybe groups.google.com or the
sndconfig program can help you.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270