Re: Houston, I May Have a Problem (chkrootkit Results)

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 01:01:14AM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya scarledown
>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Scarletdown wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of archiving and backing up my documents, images,
> > media, and other stuff I want to keep now, about 425MB worth of stuff.
>
> cool ... luckily ... the culprit didnt do anything worst to your machine
>
> however, you should have already had backups ..
>
> now that you know you probably have been cracked, its too late to start
> doing backups, and definitely do NOT overwrite any old backups since
> they contain good backups and your current system ( backup you're doing
> now ) is suspect and all you might be doing is saving their trojan
> and restoring it again on your new install
>
> ---
> we know you been cracked ( evidenced by your chkroot )
> with top, ps, etc being infected
>
> the serious problem is ... lest it occur again for the same reason ...
> 	- how did that happen ... why havent other boxes been cracked
> 	- how did they get in
> 	- who got in ..
> 	- how long have they been in
> 	- what other machines have they cracked
> 	- why they got in.... well probably for fun in this case

Since he was in the process of rebuilding, its probably too late at this
juncture for him to do any kind of forensics.

> 	- on and on ..
>
> 	- and if the attacking site came from goes to *.gov server,
> 	than call the local fbi branch and chase down the attacker
>
> - if you simply reinstall ... you have a high risk they will revisit
>   and get back into your new box too

Which is why I suggested he deploy IDS/Firewall/logwatcher etc.

Unfortunately, usability times security measures tend to be a constant. The
more secure a box is, the more of a PITA it tends to be to use. As an
extreme example, the only truly secure box is one which is disconnected
from the network, unplugged, packed in concrete and fired into the
sun...Then again, its not too usable at that point. That said, you have to
strike a best balance between security and your intended use for the box.

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |