Re: automating sa-learn via cyrus mailbox?

Will Trillich wrote:

i've been thinking again, so to avoid doing something dangerous
i thought i run it past y'all'uns-- :)

we're running cyrus21 and exim4 for email services, and would
like to automate the "sa-learn" feature system-wide.

so why not create a "user.spam" cyrus mailbox, BOUNCE any spams
there and have cron do some sort of automated "sa-learn --spam"
on the results, and then delete them?

anybody doing anything like this? got code i could sniff before
i work up my own wheel from scratch?

I've thought about it, but not done any active investigation. Problems I see: How much does SA depend on headers for identiying spam in learn mode? It uses them in diagnosing spam.

How many email clients forward headers? None I currently use do AFAIK.

I wouldn't want SA learning wrong facts.

OTOH any email to my spambait addresses goes into SA unseen by human eye.

Something I've not checked and which might work is asking users to move verified spam into a specific folder. Depending on needs and trust, the folder could be per user, per group (as in all of accounts) or site-wide.

====

also -- sa-learn appears to work based on the shell user's home
~/.spamassassin/* files, and our cyrus setup is non-shell-user
heaven. do we have to "su - $spamassassin_user" before
"sa-learn" will work the way we want? haven't been able to track
it down in black-and-white yet...

I think newer SA can talk to an SQL server for per-user stuff.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait