Re: "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable"

Phil Thomson wrote:

Hi all,

Working on a network install of Debian, but I'm having trouble getting
the network to come up. My NIC is a D-Link DFE-530TX, the driver for
which is rtl8139. When I run dhclient, I get "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource
temporarily unavailable". The list archives suggest that it has
something to do with the driver and/or a conflicting IRQ. Does anyone
else have experience with this error message? What's the easiest way
to change the driver for this (one person suggested 8139too). How do I
check the IRQ's? TIA for any info.

8139too is certainly the right driver, and the use of something else is
a sufficient explanation of why it doesn't work.

The Q becomes, why are you not using 8139too?

Not by choice. I'm assuming Debian chose this driver by default. Is there a way I can find out which driver is currently installed? If I need to change the driver, how would I do this?

TIA. This is my first time installing Debian, and I'm not a Linux wizard at the best of times. Some of these questions may appear basic, but I'm just trying to learn how to do this stuff. You can reply to me offlist if you want.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

=========
Phil Thomson
home: http://www.sfu.ca/~pthomson