Re: Procmail setup problem

Stephen,

you give me an example concerning how to filter the debian mailing-
lists, based on "X-Mailing-List:" header that the mail server add to
messages.

...But some mailing-lists like "snort-sign", "snort-users",
"gnupg-devel", do not add the X-headers....

Do you have some advices to made a "magic" configuration like for
debian? I suppose you need to analyze an e-mail header as example....
But if you remember some analogous situations you already examined...

Il ven, 2004-08-27 alle 00:06, s. keeling ha scritto:
> Incoming from Lorenzo Rossi:
> >
> > Il gio, 2004-08-26 alle 21:47, s. keeling ha scritto:
> >
> > > Solution to this is scoring:
> > >
> > > :0:
> > > * 1^0 ^To:.*debian-user
> > > * 1^0 ^Cc:.*debian-user
> > > ${HOME}/Mail/debian-user
> > >

> > What does it meen * 1^0 ^To:.*debian-user ??
> >                     ^^^
> > I'm a newb...
>
> You say that like it's a bad thing.  :-)

Also my mother is worried about my healt.... :)

> Recipes start out with a negative score.  Generic patterns that match
> add "1" to that score.  Once the score goes positive, the action
> clause is executed.  So, for the above, a match on either triggers the
> action (a non-match has no effect).  "man procmailsc" explains this.
> If you want the action to trigger when both match, you can "seed" the
> score:
>
> :0:
> * -2^0
> * 1^0 ^To:.*debian-user
> * 1^0 ^Cc:.*debian-user
> debian-user
>
> That "-2^0" will set the beginning score to -2.

Thk for the teaching...you explain me clear the concept but looking at
the output in procmail log file I can see the following lines, and a
dubt arise in my mind... :)

procmail: [2147] Fri Aug 27 23:00:34 2004
procmail: Assigning "LOGABSTRACT=all"
procmail: No match on
"(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)bugtraq@sequrityfocus\.com"
procmail: No match on "^To.gnupg-devel@gnupg.org"
procmail: No match on "^To_nmap-dev@insecure.org"
procmail: No match on "^To.nmap-hackers@insecure.org    # Anything from
namp-hacker"
procmail: Score:       0       0 "^To:.*rsbac           # Anything from
rsbac"
procmail: Score:       0       0 "^Cc:.*rsbac           # will go to
$MAILDIR/rsbac"
procmail: No match on "^X\-Mailing\-List:.*debian-\/[a-z-]*"
procmail: Score:       0       0 "^To:.*reiserfs-list@namesys\.com"
procmail: Score:       0       0 "^Cc:.*reiserfs-list@namesys\.com"
procmail: Score:       1       1 "^To:.*snort-sigs"
procmail: Score:       0       1 "^Cc:.*snort-sigs"
procmail: Locking "/home/milos94/Mail/IN.snort-sigs.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/home/milos94/Mail/IN.snort-sigs"
procmail: Opening "/home/milos94/Mail/IN.snort-sigs"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Unlocking "/home/milos94/Mail/IN.snort-sigs.lock"
procmail: Notified comsat:
"milos94@3278363:/home/milos94/Mail/IN.snort-sigs"
>From snort-sigs-admin@lists.sourceforge.net  Fri Aug 27 23:00:34 2004
  Folder: /home/milos94/Mail/IN.snort-sigs

Focusing on:

[....]

procmail: Score:       1       1 "^To:.*snort-sigs"
procmail: Score:       0       1 "^Cc:.*snort-sigs"

[....]

It seems to me that procmail set the initial value score to 0
What I'm missing?
Probably I should read again the procmail docs...

> > > I'm susbscribed to multiple debian-* lists.  This separates them all
> > > out into separate folders:
> > >
> > > # ------------------------------------
> > > # debian-${MATCH}
> >
> > Wow very powerfull! I like it...:)
> >
> > You give me a lots of suggestions...
> > Do you think my problems are mainly related to the configurations of
> > rules?
>
> I ran into a lot of problems when I began.  Multiple readings of "man
> procmail*" helped a lot.  There's also the procmail-users mailing
> list.
I just subscribed to the mailing-list, and now I'm browsing the archive.

>  Go read through their archives if you can't afford to
> subscribe.  There's many _very_ good websites out there to help you
> with lots of examples.  Timo Salmi's is pretty helpful when you're new
> to this.

Yes, I'm studing his material...

>  So is Nancy McGough's (sp?).

I have not read jet....

>   If you read Usenet newsgroups,
> comp.mail.misc is the place to go.
>
> One suggestion you should take as gospel: make a copy, THEN change
> your recipe.  It can be fairly difficult to figure out what's going on
> when a recipe fails spectacularly.  If you've a backup, you can avoid
> that problem.
:) Yoy have said one of the most important rule...infact I'm doing the
tests on a copy of my e-mail files. I have already experienced some
problems...

> --
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> (*)               http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
> - -

Thanks again
Lorenzo