Re: Software RAID using Sarge Installer

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 07:41:08PM -0600, Lucas Albers wrote:
> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:41:08 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Lucas Albers <albersl@cs.montana.edu>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Software RAID using Sarge Installer

[snip]
> other people want it to support more features is just shocking! :-)
> >
> > I used the HOWTO at http://alioth.debian.org/projects/rootraiddoc/ to
> > convert my system to RAID 1 after the install, and it worked well.  I
> > chose the 2nd path, which was GRUB & initrd (lilo didn't work for me for
> > some reason).
> or
> http://rootraiddoc.alioth.debian.org
> I'm surprised lilo did not work, as the lilo install has been tested a lot
> more then the grub install, but good to hear grub worked.
>
> Theoretically you can install to raid from the installer, if you load raid.
> I wrote that rootraiddoc and I'm not sure of the steps to install directly
> from the sarge installer onto a raid system.
> If anyone from the installer team has better directions or a definitive
> answer on whether you can install to raid from the installer, then let me
> know, and I will update the document.
  The answer is yes and no. I've tried d-i rc1 and snapshot from 24 Aug
2004. Installing on root almost works. It permits you to create MD
device and put root on it (it warns you that officially root on raid
isn't supported), but after installing base system, it installs mdadm
package in /target which launch mdadm in monitor mode which prevents
/target from unmounting and causes base installer to exit with an error.
But system is almost installed, all you need to do is to install kernel, boot
loader and launch base-config. As I run installer in user-mode-linux,
I haven't installed kernel and boot loader, but created an initrd image
to get freshly installed system boot in uml with root on raid. Haven't
tried root on lvm on raid, but as I know mkinitrd supports LVM too, so
that should be not problem.

  Regards

--
Alexei Chetroi