Re: Modems for Linux?

Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My existing dialup modem does not have linux drivers (its one of those
> winmodems), and so am planning on buying a new modem for my machine. I
> checked around the net for a list of modems that are known to work
> with linux (hardware modems preferred, if not winmodems that do have
> drivers for linux) ... but couldn't find anything concrete.

Hi, I switched from a Lucent LT Winmodem to a hardware modem just recently.
The Winmodem worked fine for the 2.4.26 kernel (Debian Sarge) using a
package downloaded from:

http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/dists/debian/8.31a3/

But I couldn't get it to work with a 2.6 kernel (it's more work, but I hear
it's possible).  So I gave up and bought a hardware modem (internal PCI).
The one I'm using now is a U.S.Robotics 56K Performance Pro modem, model
5610b.  You can find this modem everywhere (at least where I live): Fry's,
CompUSA, the better local computer stores.  No special driver is needed,
just the basic serial driver will run it.

But it wasn't just "pop it in and go".  It showed up at ttyS14, which didn't
even exist in /dev.  After creating ttyS14 and setting up symlinks,
configuring /etc/ppp/options, and disabling eth0 ... it worked.  In fact,
it works GREAT.  Right away, I got faster connection speeds.  The pathetic
Winmodem rarely achieved connections over 32 kbps.  The new hardware modem
often connects at 42+ kbps.  It's not broadband (LOL), but hey, it's an
improvement.

Good luck, hope you find something that works.