Re: GCC/G++ will not compile i686 binaries when asked.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 01:32:21PM -0700, dking@pimpsoft.com wrote:
> That may indeed be it. Is there any known way short of looking a the
> asm dump of a binary for telling what CPU instructions are used? When
> asked I was directed to readelf and file and they work great for
> SPARC based development, so I had assumed them to be correct for pc
> development as well.
>
> Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.

Nope. Just wrote a tiny unoptimizable program (true clone), compile for
386 and PII, and they cmp the same...

I'd likely go for a pipeline, this works on my system:

objdump --disassemble -j.text testC | grep '^ ' | perl -pe 's/.{32}//; s/ .*//' | sort -u