Re: Wvdial cant surf the web

Carl Fink wrote:

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 12:49:49PM +1200, geekboy wrote:

I have adapted my resolv.conf, and even without it pppd does automagically (as you said earlier) add the nameservers anyways. still can't surf, can't even ping the name servers I listed. and yes they do exist.

Can you ping a known IP address (e.g. 194.109.137.218, which is
www.debian.org)?  What if you traceroute to it?  What does "sudo
ifconfig" report?  Paste the relevant part of /var/log/messages into
your reply, too.
Okay, no couldn't ping a known address. can't find traceroute as a command.
if config was long, same with /var/log/messages.
it was defiantely something to do with the gateway. I sorta had it, sometimes. anyways... cut through the crap, removed anything in my machine hardware wise that was strictly not needed. (tv card, winmodem, netcard,usb2 card)
and then installed using knoppix hdinstall. works a treat now :)
then added hardware back, and all going sweet as after the little ifconfig eth0 down trick :)
ultra happy.
thanks heaps dudes.
Haldor