Re: GCC/G++ will not compile i686 binaries when asked.

dking@pimpsoft.com wrote:

For the past few weeks I have been co-working on a private project. I have done allot of work on it and I would hate to have to start over.

The makefile I created for this project explicitly tells the compiler (g++) to compile the binary using i686 (-march=pentiumpro) assembly instructions and internal timeings. Yet for some [explitive] [explitive] reason it refuses to do so and both ?file? amd ?readelf? tell me it always compiles for a bare i386 despite my explicit commands otherwise.

Two questions:
Why the [explitive] does this [explitive] thing not compile the end result into a i686 only binary as I asked it to? How the [explitive] do I fix it?

I have read the gcc/g++ manual pages. I have googled. I have spent the past hour dedicating myself to this problem, and nothing seems to work.

This is [b]really[/b] getting to me. Please help.

I'm curious about why it's particularly important to you?

For sure gcc will do what you want: I have been caught booting a kernel that trapped on a Pentium because it was built for 686, and when I redeployed a Pentium II (it was running RHL 7.3) I replaced the kernel and (I think glibc) but got caught on the ssl libraries - it's a mazing how many programs won't run with broken openssl!.

So the Q is, how do you know it's not working for you?
Have you tried building for an Athlon and running on your target?
Do you have a small test program that illustrates your problem? If you come up with (say) ten lines of C, probablly people here will check it out for you on a variety of software.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait