Re: ensuring usb devices visibility

Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 08:24:20AM -0400, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
Two days ago I made an update-upgrade to my sid machine (kernel
2.6.7). For a while I hadn't been able to make my memory stick work,
since i had moved to 2.6.7 with udev.
Now, after this up*, without changing anything in the kernel or
udev-hotplug configuration files manually, all is
working, as it did in the old times of 2.4.*
I figure that the improvement is caused by one or more changes in
(udev, hotplug, udevrules, hotplugblacklist, ??) during the upgrade.
My question is: what should I backup to make sure that any
future update-upgrade doesn't mess it again?

It seems after a bunch of trials that the solution that survives is to
make everything in the kernel that is related to this issue a module,
never mark it with Y when compiling your own kernel, use M.
Hmm, isn't this a bug?

Standard kernels use modules, and that's what the supporting scripts and packages such as hotplug are designed to use. I guess if you roll your own kernel, they you use modules or suffer the consequences:-)

A bit like installing Debian software on Red Hat Linux or vice versa. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait