Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:14:53PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:

> Or even better maybe, four shorewall packages - the current one being
> renamed shorewall-common and the others each depending on
> shorewall-common and having sample configurations for one interface, two
> (common gateway) three (like two but with DMZ).

Huh? there are three shorewall packages
shorewall
shorewall-doc
webmin-shorewall

At any rate, the splitting up of packages is done for a variety of
good reasons.  Maybe you want the client and not the server.  Maybe
many other packages can get away with dependencies on "foo-common,"
rather than all of "foo."

There lots of reasons why debian packagers do this and it usually is
for good reason, not the least of which is courtesy to you, the user.

> this is not a comment directed at Shorewalll so much as I've picked a
> package with which I'm familiar, and which comes without config files it
> will need.

What's the problem is they are in /usr/share/doc/package/examples?

It seems to me a perfectly sane way to do things.

That's the standard place packagers put these things, especially
configurations for packages like shorewall, which could completely
break your system (or make it inaccessible) if incorrect, so leaving
it out altogether makes pretty sure you aren't going to start it
misconfigured.

Debian makes extensive use of /usr/share/doc, so one really should
look there for answers first.

Speaking of which, as for splitting up packages, you might check the
changelog.Debian.gz in the packages doc folder.  The reason will
probably be in there somewhere.

--