how to print to file using letter size in mozilla?

Hello.  I cannot figure out how to print to file a document as letter
size in mozilla.  mozilla insists on printing to file in a4
dimensions.

I have /etc/papersize set as "letter".   that is being ignored

I have set environment variable LANG to en_US.  that is being ignored

Setting the properties for the printer in the mozilla dialog box so
that the paper size is na-letter does nothing.

I am running a combination of Sarge and Sid.  My mozilla packages and
xprt packages come from Sid:

ii  mozilla        1.7.2-4        The Mozilla Internet application suite - met
ii  mozilla-browse 1.7.2-4        The Mozilla Internet application suite - cor
ii  mozilla-firefo 0.9.3-2.2      lightweight web browser based on Mozilla
ii  mozilla-mailne 1.7.2-4        The Mozilla Internet application suite - mai
ii  mozilla-psm    1.7.2-4        The Mozilla Internet application suite - Per

ii  xprt-common    0.0.9.final.00 Xprint - the X11 print system (configuration
ii  xprt-xprintorg 0.0.9.final.00 Xprint - the X11 print system from xprint.or

let me know if you need any more info.

thanks,
Tim