Re: Status of KDE in unstable?

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 10:39 -0400, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> I'm having the same problem since last week.
> Upgrading isn't the problem, I also upgraded to it. The problem is it won't
> install after a fresh install. I have three machines that upgraded to KDE 3.3
> Just fine. But I have a machine I use to test the installer on, and KDE won't
> install, since last week.

Assuming it's the same issue I had:

For me aptitude install kde failed at korganizer with dpkg saying
korganizer wanted to replace a file belonging to other packages, and
named them. I checked out the files (it's been a while, so I don't
rightly remember which one), decided I could safely overwrite it and
backed it up. I also noted the packages that korganizer wanted to
overwrite, and did:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite korganizer_4%3a3.2.3-1_i386.deb

Then

dpkg -i \
kdelibs_4%3a3.3.0-1_all.deb    kdelibs-bin_4%3a3.3.0-1_i386.deb \
kdelibs4_4%3a3.3.0-1_i386.deb  kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.0-1_all.deb

You'll note that kdelibs3.3 will tell you something about replacing old
files.  kdelibs3.3 knew about the change, and took back control of the
files from korganizer3.2. That's why upgrades work.

The reason the install fails is that korganizer3.2 doesn't know about
the change, and when dpkg tries to install it after kdelibs3.3 are
already installed, it bails out. This kind of thing is why unstable is
named sid ;)