Re: Java on Debian

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 12:24, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> Having just installed Sarge on my laptop, I tried downloading and installing
> the Sun J2SE (from Sun - I didn't see it - or expect to see it! - in apt).
> Unfortunately, it wouldn't install because of a missing library.
>
> I *KNOW* there are many people writing Java on Debian. What tool do you use.
> If Sun (what I'd prefer) what's the magic to getting it to install?

Missing library? I've never had that problem, and I've installed java a
bunch of times. I just download the linux ".bin"  bundle from Sun and
run it to unpack it. Then ensure that the location I've unpacked it into
is in my $PATH. Or links to the most important binaries could be created
manually from /usr/local/bin etc.

Because I need to have multiple different java versions installed
concurrently (I've got 3 sun versions and 1 ibm version installed now) I
prefer to install manually rather than from an apt repository.

Which version were you trying to install, and what error message did you
get?

Cheers,

Simon