Re: Motherboard recommendation?

Paul Gear wrote:
Michael Rumpf wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new motherboard. Can anyone recommend a board that is
known to work well with free software drivers. I just don't want to buy
another board and find myself disabling most of the features as they
don't work under Linux.

I don't have a recommendation, but i can disrecommend the NVIDIA nForce2
chipset from a free software perspective.  The NIC has a closed source
driver.  When i emailed them about it, the response was, "Our networking
performance is too important to allow competitors to use our drivers."
I disabled the on-board NIC and bought a $20 RTL-8139.  :-)

I have a motherboard with the NVIDIA nForce2 chipset, built-in NIC and audio and they both work. Matter of fact, the NIC is
a RTL-8139. ;-)  The motherboard is a Chaintech 7NJL3. The ONLY
problem I've run across is was running the 2.4 series kernel,
(lockup bug.. chipset specific) and that was fixed in the latest
2.6 series kernel and the latest 2.4 varmit.

Michael, might be you're best bet would be to go browse the
archives of this list, this has been hashed over quite a few
times in the past few months.
http://lists.debian.org/search.html

Dana