Re: Java on Debian

Michael Satterwhite wrote:

Having just installed Sarge on my laptop, I tried downloading and installing the Sun J2SE (from Sun - I didn't see it - or expect to see it! - in apt). Unfortunately, it wouldn't install because of a missing library.

I *KNOW* there are many people writing Java on Debian. What tool do you use. If Sun (what I'd prefer) what's the magic to getting it to install?

Install java-common:

http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/java-common

Then install equivs:

http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/equivs

There should be docs in /usr/share/doc/java-common which outline how to get Sun's Java SDK working on (and playing nice with) Debian.

Jeremy