Re: alternative to cdrecord?

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:31:31 +0800, John Summerfield
<debian@computerdatasafe.com.au> wrote:
> Brian Pack wrote:
>
> >With the old
> >kernel, a user could potentially wipe a drives firmware.
> >

> which actually happend with a release of Mandrake Linux and some brand I
> won't name coz I don't recall its name of CD-ROM.
>
> The manufactorer misused one of the standard SCSI commands:-)

It was LG. The model was an IDE cdrom drive that wasn't supposed to
implement the command in question. I think it was the flush command
which is apparently only used by cd-r(w) drives. The drive implemented
this as "flush firmware".

pretty funny story if you think of it. :-)

greets,
Wim