Re: attempt to access beyond end of device

steve downes wrote:

etc

Ran fsck maually & it found thousands of inode faults on the back end
of the disk. It now reboots & the fault has cleared but so has a lot
of software. Looks like a re-install. Fortunately it's a data free
machine except for a server backup.

Thanks for your help

I'd give it a damnd good memory test first. Last time _I_ had lots of errors, replacing everything round the disk drive cured the problem:-)

Yes, I was wondering what to do like that. Any recommends?
The same hard disc is dual booting win98 quite happily.

Steve

There's memtest86 which very quickly persuaded me to <plonk> some ECC sdram. I was wondering why testing was to, well, testing.
Smartmontools would be a Good Thing. Tells you how good the disk is.

I don't think W98 means much:-) I used to have a computer that run Windows 95 very nicely and was sick all over the place with OS/2. the difference? OS/2 is mostly 32-bit, W95 is largely 16-bit. The 32-bit code is more demanding of RAM and such.

If it's the boss's money, suggest it really isn't work spending much on checking it out - how old is it? - and maybe an investment in something known good is good:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait