Re: Software RAID using Sarge Installer

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:50:34PM -0500, John Fleming wrote:
> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:50:34 -0500
> From: John Fleming <john@wa9als.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Software RAID using Sarge Installer
>
> Would someone help me, preferably off-list if the question's too simple,
> know exactly what choices to make using the new Sarge installer and RAID 1
> for mirroring?  During the partitioning, there is a chance to set up RAID 1,
> but I don't fully understand exactly what partitions are required.  I just
> want a simple scheme with a root partition and a swap partition, plus
> whatever else is necessary for RAID 1.

  I'm playing around with sarge debian installer RC1, trying to install
root on raid. with RC1 it is possible to create md devices and start
installation of packages, but IMHO there's a bug, and installer starts
mdadm for raid monitoring, mdadm holds /target busy, thus preventing it
from unmounting, which causes d-i to abort this an error. BTW d-i warns
you that root on raid isn't officially supported.

  I think it is easier to install debian on single disk and migrate it
later on RAID. There's howto, try to google for it.

  Regards

--
Alexei Chetroi