Re: domain name of debian

In article <[🔎] 4129D66A.2070506@ComputerDatasafe.com.au>,
John Summerfield  <root@localhost.dyndns.org> wrote:
>Rus Foster wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

>>> where does the domain name of a debain stored?
>>> is there anyway to change it?
>>

>> Try edit /etc/domainname or /etc/hostname depending on what you want
>> to acheive
>>
>> Rus
>
>dnsdomainname is in /etc/resolv.conf
>summer@Dolphin:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>search demo.room
>nameserver 192.168.9.4
>nameserver 192.168.8.1
>summer@Dolphin:~$ hostname -f
>Dolphin.demo.room
>summer@Dolphin:~$

Well, only to the point that you need to register the full
hostname aka FQDN in either DNS or /etc/hosts as well.

>NIS domain name may be in /etc/defaultdomain (to my surprise).  More
>usually, it's in /etc/yp.conf

It's _never_ in /etc/yp.conf - always in /etc/defaultdomain.
The name is an inheritance from Sun, they invented NIS and
on Solaris the NIS domainname is stored in /etc/defaultdomein.

Mike.
--
The question is, what is a "manamanap".
The question is, who cares ?