Re: domain name of debian

> where does the domain name of a debain stored?
> is there anyway to change it?

I presume you mean DNS domain, not NIS domain.

I think it is derived from looking up the name of
the host, which is in /etc/hostname.

E.g:

	my /etc/hostname contains 'dione'.

	my /etc/resolv.conf says to append 'myth.net'
	to undotted hostnames

	also, my /etc/resolv.conf says to contact
	127.0.0.1 as the name server

	so then it contacts my name server (but it
	could equally well be any other one that
	knows how to resolve names in the domain)
	and asks "what is the IP of dione.<my-domain>?"

What exactly you should change depends *why* you
want to change it :-) Why?

Alexis

PS NIS domain is set by /etc/defaultdomain.