Re: X Server Crash

Kevin Mark wrote:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:49:23AM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

I had a problem with an X Server Crash whose output, together with that of scanpci, is pasted below. I digged around lists.debian.org and found similar problems experienced by others, only that they didn't help. I'm running Woody 3.0r2. Is it possible to successfully run X without upgrading any software and if so how. Thanks.

What do you mean by "Crash"?

If you give LONG output, it is good if you shorten it. For X output,
look for the EE or WW output (error,warnings)

Usually. But in this case, it would mean that we'd have missed:

>>(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) S3 unknown chipset (0x8d04) rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/19, 0xd8000000/27

Perhaps a better solution would be to provide snipped info on the list, and put the full info on a web page and provide a link to that page (but not everyone has their own access to a web page).

(II) SAVAGE: driver (version 1.1.16) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
	Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
	Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133, Twister,
	TwisterK

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

My guess is that you've either specified a wrong BusID setting in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, or the Woody version of X doesn't recognize your video chipset (most likely).

As Kevin suggested, you should be able to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", and select "vesa" as your driver rather than "s3". You'll be limited perhaps in color depth or resolution, etc, but at least you'll have a working X (hopefully).

--
Kent West
westk@acu.edu