exabyte packetloader 1U problem

We have an Exabyte VXA2 packetloader 1U attached via SCSI to a server.
 We have used mtx and Exabyte's own loadLibtool to rotate the chager
and maniopulate the cartridges, but we cannot arite to any tapes.
After a tape is loaded in the drive, I try the dump command below:
hostname:~# dump -0u -v -f /dev/sg2 /var
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sun Aug 22 22:50:48 2004
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/sda6 (/var) to /dev/sg2
  DUMP: Excluding inode 8 (journal inode) from dump
  DUMP: Excluding inode 7 (resize inode) from dump
  DUMP: Label: none
  DUMP: Writing 10 Kilobyte records
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 343925 blocks.
  DUMP: Volume 1 started with block 1 at: Sun Aug 22 22:50:56 2004
  DUMP: write error 20 blocks into volume 1: Cannot allocate memory
  DUMP: Do you want to rewrite this volume?: ("yes" or "no") no
  DUMP: Do you want to start the next tape?: ("yes" or "no") no
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

/dev/sg1 is the changer and sg2 is te tape device, we have made sure
of this several times.  However, the error message is the same if you
try /dev/sg1 instead.

Has anyone ever used an exabyte chagner or more specifically the VXA
packetloader?

We are using the most recent 2.6.7 kernel in debian unstable.  Any
ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks for any help.