Re: perl module --> debian package name

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 01:17 -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:06:30PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 12:12 -0400, John Harrold wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > I was trying to run a perl script on a Debian box and it kept complaining
> > > that I didn't have the right perl module installed (in this case
> > > the Date::Format module). Typically typically I can look through the
> > > available packages with 'apt-cache search' and find the correct debian
> > > package to install. In this case the name of the package was
> > > 'libtimedate-perl' --- which isnt obvious given all of the other packages
> > > with 'date' in them. So I was wondering if there was something out there
> > > that maps perl modules to the Debian package that provides them. Perhaps I
> > > just need to be more creative when using apt-cache.
> >

> > 1. apt-get install dh-make-perl
> > 2. man dh-make-perl
> > 3. Do the magic that exists within dh-make-perl
> > 4. ...
> > 5. ... PROFIT!
> >
> > Have loads of fun.
> >
> Hi Greg,
> would it be possible for someone with say dh-make-perl and perl -MCPAN -eshell
> and make some script-foo that would be able to interface with CPAN and
> whip up any not currently avaible perl module?

From rom the dh-make-perl manpage

SYNOPSIS
       dh-make-perl [SOURCE_DIR | --cpan MODULE]

       You can modify dh-make-perl's behaviour with some switches:

       --desc SHORT DESCRIPTION
           Uses the argument to --desc as short description for the
		package.

       --arch any | all
           This switches between arch-dependent and arch-independet
		packages. If --arch isn't used, dh-make-perl uses a
		relatively good-working algorithms to decide this alone.

       --version VERSION
           Specifies the version of the resulting package.

       --cpan-mirror MIRROR
           Specifies a CPAN site to use as mirror.

       --exclude | -i [REGEX]
           This allows you to specify a PCRE to exclude some files from
		the search for docs and stuff like that. If no argument
		is given, it uses a default to exclude CVS and .svn
		directories.

I think that answers you question huh?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net