Re: OT: Which tool, and how, to get partial string from file?i

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:39:22 -0500
From: Kent West <westk@acu.edu>

[SNIP]
> (2)
> The online information did not address my needs (and I suspect
> that tree-bound versions would suffer similar shortcomings). . . .
[SNIP]

Understood.  Several times, with several subjects, I've felt
blocked, balked, & bewildered in much the same way.

My solution: I check out tutorial after tutorial, book after book --
till I find one I feel comfortable with.  It must be at my level of
ignorance (make that 'innocence'), & I have to _like_ the way the
author writes.  The search always takes time & torment, but in the
end it always works.

The first time was way back in the bad old DOS days.  I knew nothing
at all about Unix, but obviously it was the language of the
Internet, & I had a shell account at Eskimo.  I borrowed a Unix text
from Seattle Public Library -- & found it like wading in molasses.
I tried at least a dozen intros . . . .

Then I ran across Stan Kelly-Bootle's _Understanding UNIX_ (2e 1994
Sybex) & instantly felt right at home with his way of putting
things.  His book pried the first brick out of the Unix sidewalk;
then Unix seemed easy, or at least logical.

Right now I, too, feel fated to never understand shell scripts.  So
it's try, try again.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle